Feedreader.com - News

Saturday, December 7, 2013

My Supports

I consider myself lucky to have multiple layers of support from many different sources in my life. My mother and father have been a huge positive influence on me with regards to my higher educational aspirations. They are only a phone call away when I am feeling discouraged or overwhelmed; just talking to them always makes me feel better. They also provide support in form of good advice and frequent encouragement. Without the consistent support from my parents, I probably would not have achieved as much as I have at this point in my life. 

At work, I enjoy receiving constant feedback from not only the parents of the children in my care, but also from the Pastor of the church that my center is affiliated with. By listening to and incorporating this feedback, I can better refine and enhance my directing style and this provides me with a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. I feel that without this type of support structure at my job I would not be as comfortable implementing what I need to do without knowing how my performance was impacting the business. On the other end of the spectrum, this same system of support provides me with feedback on issues that I need to review in order to make the appropriate corrections or changes.  Being a daycare director means that my job cannot successfully be executed in a vacuum, I must have the support and cooperation of my staff. 

As a member of the Early Childhood Directors Organization, the concept of support and togetherness is also understood and respected between myself and peers. We support each other for the greater good of learning and sharing knowledge about being effective early childhood leaders. The support structure from this organization is unparalleled in our field.  Without support from my peers I feel that my knowledge and skills would stagnate and my capabilities would be hindered. Having the support of a group of like-minded professionals is essential to me. 

One challenge that I would anticipate would be explaining to parents why my staff and I do what we do concerning their child. I know that my education and longevity in the early childhood field will help tremulously as I communicate my opinions, and I would have the support from my staff and the Pastor from the church.     

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post about your support systems. I am glad you mentioned work as a support system. A lot of people find work to just be a place that you have a job. You can tell that you really enjoy your job and value others opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Jill- I look forward to collaborating with my colleagues/peers. Education is one field where support from peers/colleagues is essential to being an effective educator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jilll,

    I adequate your support system as a village. It does take a collective group of individuals to facilitate mental and physical growth in our children. You remind us that resources come from all avenues. Thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill-

    Our readings and research over the past few weeks have highlighted educating your parents about certain educational practices used in your program benefits the relationships between educator and family and increases support. I know you mentioned a hypothetical challenge of explaining different practices to your parents, but have you actually implemented workshops, informational packets, conferences, etc to educate your parents about your program in order to prevent your potential challenge?

    ReplyDelete