Feedreader.com - News

Friday, May 23, 2014

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

People's values and beliefs affect their behaviors. In turn, diversity and lifestyle choices are the outcome of those values and beliefs. I spoke with a Caucasian male in his sixties, a Hispanic female in her twenties, and an African-American female in her thirties. All three stated that they believed culture and diversity means people who are respectful of others that are different from themselves. They also were in agreement that respect is not only for the traditions and values, but also for gender, race, religion, and socioeconomic status. 

My Hispanic friend also feels that her culture is a group of people having the same beliefs and they work together to make their culture better. This, to me, would be considered deep culture as having everyone working together to make their culture richer involves the thoughts, beliefs, personal values, and traditions that everyone expresses in actions and words everyday.   

 My Caucasian friend believes that culture is influenced by ones upbringing and environment. One issue that I do not remember reading about is how the environment influences ones culture if they have been removed from their own comfortable culture. Will they still hold onto to their values and beliefs, or embrace the culture they were placed in by adoption or another circumstance. It might depend on the age of the child.

Talking to different people and getting their opinion about culture and diversity made me realize that I really did not think much about culture years ago. Being in the dominate culture, I really did not have any clue of the issues and hardships some cultures went through. I also thought about the influence of power structures in our society and the impact they can have on cultural dynamics and values. To become diverse, we must look at life values from a variety of perspectives. 

3 comments:

  1. I too feel the same way; really before this class I didn't pay diversity any mind. I just looked at everyone as being who they are. After taking these courses I am very courious to learn the thoughts others have related to their diversity experiences. I think these exercies will help us to have a better understanding on how we treat and talk to others. Thank you for sharing your post with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,
    In my experience, and as can be seen in the readings this week, culture is something that is malleable and changeable for a person. Humans construct culture and are also able to change it. A child born into one culture can learn a new culture (if moved into it) or in the case of living in two cultures, learn both. In this sense, environment definitely influences cultural identity. Although, as you said, an older child torn from their only cultural identity may not readily embrace a new one, and be resistant, but at some point will have to accept the new culture, if only to survive in it.
    Thanks, Jill!
    BethAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill,
    As an educator I am more conscience of others culture and diversity but outside of school, I never really took it into account. I have had to dig deep into my personal life and reflect on my own culture and diversity. At the beginning I told my husband I don't feel that I have any culture. I feel that being apart of a dominant culture, we sometimes loose our true identity.


    Kristen

    ReplyDelete