Feedreader.com - News

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Adjourning; Saying Good-Bye

I have been involved in many meetings and break-out committees in my career in early childhood education. Some were unproductive, some were very productive. I find the hardest group that I had to say good-bye to was the most successful group because we all had the same vision, organizational skills, and were very professional. We did goof off sometimes by sharing stories, personally and professionally, but these stories never interfered with our goal. Some of us in this group had worked together before and knew the norms, but the norms were still always explained to the rest of the group. I have also been in groups who did not have a clue what they were doing or where to start. This type of group usually did not meet their goals and, me being me, would take over on the side with like minded people and get results. It was not difficult to say goodbye to this group! When I do work in a group that is high-performing, I hate for it to end. The people in this type of group had the energy, knowledge, and personality to get things done in a professional way. 

The adjourning stage has some rituals that should be done before everyone leaves. Tying up any loose ends for the project is a must, as well as doing an evaluation, either as a group or individual. Spending time reflecting on what was successful or a failure, and identifying areas for development is important. I feel that the adjourning stage is important for closure that benefits everyone involved. 

I have "known" many of my colleagues since I started working on my Bachelor's Degree. I have read about your visions and goals, personal history, and situations at work in your blogs, the student lounge, and the discussions.  Thank you for letting me be a part of your life and I am hoping many of us can still stay connected even though we all lead busy life's. We have come this far in our education, and there is still so much more we can learn from each other.      

1 comment:

  1. Jill,
    I enjoyed your post. Yes, tying up any loose ends is a great step in a productive group effort. Closure is important and the adjourning stage provides that opportunity for everyone to come away with more than what they came in with, individually and as a group. I also hope to stay connected with you as I have learned so much from you, thank you!
    ~Jalice

    ReplyDelete