Feedreader.com - News

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Professional Hopes and Goals

My hope for all children and their families who come from diverse backgrounds is for them to feel comfortable, safe, and welcomed in their environment. To become diverse, we must look at life values from a variety of perspectives. We also must take the time to understand why people do the things they do within their social identities; the purpose behind the action. We need to move beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating diversity. People's values and beliefs affect their behaviors. In turn, diversity and lifestyle choices are the outcome of those values and beliefs. 

A goal I would like to set for the early childhood field is for teachers to learn some different concepts and theories with diversity in order to adapt new strategies into the teaching curriculum. Teachers must examine themselves for any hidden biases they may have, or encounter on the job, and learn techniques that will counter the potential negative effects of these biases. Culture sensitivity also plays a required role in the designing of new teaching techniques that would have an emphasis on raising awareness of microaggressive thoughts or actions. Learning these types of techniques will be an ongoing process.     

I would like to thank all my peers for their suggestions, personal thoughts, stories, and caring attitudes for the children to be working on their Master's Degree. You have inspired me to challenge myself even more. Good luck to all. 

4 comments:

  1. I wish you the best with all your goals and aspirations. You can tell that you have a true passion for the early childhood field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,
    Your hope for children and families is very influential. I love how you state that we should move past tolerance and move towards embracing and celebrating diversity. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill,
    I have enjoyed getting to know you during this class. Your passion for this field has been evident and I want to wish you luck in all your future endeavors. I hope we get to be in another class soon.
    Take Care!
    Keli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck to you aswell! Thank you so much for the wonderful post you have shared with us in this class. I hope to have another class with you at Walden. With this weeks post we had a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete