Feedreader.com - News

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Competent Communication Skills

My thirty-five year old son is very competent when it comes to communication as his skills began at an early age. He is very articulate when he communicates to anyone both verbally and non verbally. He maintains eye contact, keeps his tone of voice even, and is an active perceiver when he listens. If he does not understand the point or goal of the conversation, he will restate what he feels that the point or goal is. Because of his intelligence, he will strive to distinguish fact from inferences and communicates with knowledge. 

He is also aware of cultural context when communicating with others as he comes in contact with other cultures frequently. I have been modeling my own communication skills after my sons for several years. What I must work on is my listening skills. When I become lost with what someone is trying to tell me, I tune out. I need to become a more active listener.  

2 comments:

  1. Jill,
    I think it is wonderful that you feel that your son is a competent communcator. His skills are a reflection of you so I believe you should give you self a clap on the back for helping him to have competent commuication skills. My son is 6 and I feel I talk to him everyday about working on his communication skills. I hope one day I can be able to say the same about my son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,
    It is great that you are able to list your son as a competent communicator. He must have seen and received much of the information he has learned from you! Having a level tone in your voice to me is very important when communicating with others. I take a lot from a person's tone of voice, and sometimes if I do receive a tough or harsh tone from someone I have a tendency to shut down. That is definitely not what you want to accomplish when having a discussion with someone. Being aware of cultural context is also extremely important with our world being so diverse. I commend you for knowing what you need to work on. I think we all have things we would like to make stronger. :Thank you for a great post!

    ReplyDelete