Feedreader.com - News

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The country that "my family" came from is Germany. 

Five ways that I would prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family would be:

               1. I would learn the culture from the area where the family came from. I would also like to have a list of resources to help the family to assimilate to our country.

               2. I would read books about Germany, learn important words or phrases in German and have a translator standing by to help out if needed.

               3. I would, hopefully, receive information about the child and his family before they arrive so I would know the child's strengths, weakness, likes, and dislikes. I would also want to know what type of educational programs he has attended in Germany.
  
              4. Having pictures that the child and family can relate to hanging up in the classroom, along with books both in English and in German would be beneficial for all the children. I would like to have toys, different activities, and music that are native to Germany in the classroom to make the child feel like he is important to the classroom.

              5. I would like the learn about foods that the child likes and see if we could reproduce a recipe in the classroom so all the children could enjoy it.

These are just a few ways to make the child and their family feel comfortable. It will also make the other children feel comfortable knowing that a child who may not speak English or who eats different things then what we eat will be in their classroom. The children will be able to ask questions about their new friend that I may be able to answer, and if not, they will be find answers to their questions when he attends and not be afraid of what they do not understand.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! It seems like you have put in a lot of though and feelings into making the children feel comfortable. We want the children to feel love and saf, but we want to also let the parents know we have their childs best intrest.

    ReplyDelete