Feedreader.com - News

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Communication Assumptions

I do not own a television so I asked to borrowed a DVD from my son. He gave me Quantum Leap to watch and now I am hooked on this show!

Watching with the sound off was more difficult then I though it would be. The relationship of the two main charterers, Sam and Al, showed that they seemed to be good friends at some points, and yet they seemed to have a difference of opinion on some issues. Al's facial expressions were animated and he used his hands a lot when talking. It seemed like his body was always in motion whether he was singing, dancing, or pretending to swing a golf club. Al was always holding on to a small computer that he would type in something and then his whole body became agitated with it as he would start pounding on it with his fists. At this time his facial expressions would show anger. Sam always looked confused when someone other than Al was talking to him, but he did smile a lot. I did not understand why Al could act goofy and not have the other people around him say anything. When Sam looked at himself in a mirror, it was a different person looking back at him. Apparently Sam was the only one who could actually see Al and Al would appear and disappear at will which startled Sam.

Watching this show was definitely more fun with the sound on. With the sound on, I could see that Sam and Al were good friends and my interpretation of this was right.  Al was Sam's sidekick but Sam was the only one who could see him and that is why Al could act goofy and get away with it.  When Al could not get the information from his hand held computer, he was upset and would usually disappear. I now understand why Sam appeared to almost always have a confused look on his face as he "leaped" back into time and had no clue where he was or who the people around him were. I just thought he looked confused because of the things Al would tell him from his computer. 

I believe my assumptions would be spot on if I actually watched a show that I was familiar with. It has always been said that one should not make assumptions. The nonverbal cues in this program gave me the message that Al was a happy go lucky guy and Sam seemed uptight until toward the end of the show. When I re watched with the sound on, I noticed that some of the nonverbal cues that Al was making did not match his words.  

2 comments:

  1. Jill,
    It's great you found a new interest in a show when completing this assignment. I agree with you that this was more of a challenge that I had originally anticipated, and it is more fun with the sound on. I seems like you really took notice of detail when watching it without the sound. I just find it so difficult to follow the entire story line when your not confident in the facial expressions and relationships between characters. I also experienced when watching with the sound on that some of the nonverbal cues I though a character was making did not match his words. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,
    If it was not for my husband and son I would not have a television is my house! I just got rid of my DVR which allows me to record show so, like you I had to be creative when it came to completing this assignment. I watch a show on you-tube. This assignment was interesting and like you now I am hooked on another show!

    ReplyDelete