Feedreader.com - News

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Culturally Diverse Communication


I do find myself communicating differently with children, adults, and the daycare cat! For older people I tend to speak slower, louder, and maintain eye contact so I know they understand what I am trying to communicate to them. I check for non-verbal and behavioral cues before I speak. When I communicate to my staff, I use the word "thingy" a lot and they instantly know what I am talking about; sometimes they even finish my sentences because of the longevity they have with me. My daughter, who is also my assistant director, always tells me that if there is an issue and I am not around, she will "think" about how I would handle it and communicate my words to whoever she is speaking with; staff or parents. I have to admit that I am proud of her to want to emulate me! When I am with children, I always make sure to maintain eye contact and use proper English when communicating to them. I use the "mom" voice and look if there is a problem that I am trying to clear up. Sometimes this requires me to defined some words that I use. I have never used "baby talk" that some parents will not give up. But, I will sometimes use "baby talk" to Ms. Kitty, the daycare pet therapist cat. I talk to her all the time, asking her about her night as she lives at the daycare, and if she is ready to eat. Some of the children have picked up on this and will do the same thing. When I communicate with someone I do not know, a waitress/waiter or store clerk, I always use their name when I speak with them. It makes them feel "human" and not like a "machine" taking my order or ringing up a sale. They seem to appreciate it. 

 Years ago, when my daughter was three years old, my husband and I took her to the doctor for an ear infection. The doctor was Asian and I found myself talking LOUD to him even though he was standing right next to me. The doctor and my husband used a normal conversational tone, but not me. When the doctor left the room,my husband asked why I was speaking so loud. I was not aware that I was doing this. Subconsciously, I think that because the doctor was Asian I must talk loud for him to understand my situation. From there on out, I always remind myself of this when speaking with someone from another country or culture.  

Strategies that I could use to communicate more effectively are:
  
     *Keep the message simple, but deep in meaning. Depending on who you are talking with, make the message inspiring, something that is easy to relate to or to understand.

     *Listen! Use good listening skills and show a genuine interest by using the person's name. Be aware of the non-verbal and behavioral cues. 

     *Telling a story or communicating personal experiences tend to help the people who are listening to you to "tune in" better to your message. People tend to remember these stories and they can be strong positive influences on culture building communication and behaviors. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jill,
    Thanks for sharing especially your strategies. The first one I seem to have a hard time doing. Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve in this one? The last one I truly agree with. Stories are always better to retain and easier to understand.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I am a talker and tend to ramble on. I am still working on this and maybe this is why it was my first strategy.
      Jill

      Delete
  2. Jill,
    You have listed some great strategies, thank you for sharing. I loved what you said about speaking to your staff using the word 'thingy' and them knowing instantly what you are saying. This happens a lot with me because they are so familiar with what I say and the way in which I run the school and the passion I have for what I do. This also happens when I am speaking to friends and then knowing exactly what I am trying to say without me even getting my words out. I do agree with you when you stated to tell a story or personal experience when communicating with others. This does have a tendency to help people in understanding what you are trying to get across.

    ReplyDelete